This project was to review and update the official WordPress theme for the UF College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The current theme needed to be updated and reviewed to solve template issues and improve page load times. The college also wanted to make sure that it was meeting the latest WordPress theme standards as well as compliance with University, state, and federal IT guidelines.
- Faster page load times due to removing unnecessary files, managing when scripts load, and minifying assets.
- Improved template display on mobile devices and compatibility with latest browsers
- Improved theme code quality measured by the standards used for the WordPress theme directory.
- Compliance with accessibility laws and policies by adding features like keyboard navigation on all dropdown menus, alternative text for SVGs, and proper ARIA labels. The results were tested using a screen reader and checked against WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines.
- Added developer documentation to improve theme maintenance.